The Mets went backwards and forwards with the St. Louis Cardinals, however a three-run eleventh inning was the distinction in Tuesday’s 7-6 loss at Citi Discipline.
Listed below are a couple of key takeaways …
– With the Mets trailing by a run within the backside of the ninth. Javier Baez led off the inning with a solo homer to left, simply over the orange line in left, tying the sport 4-4.
Each groups had failed to attain within the tenth regardless of having a number of runners on, however within the eleventh the Playing cards broke by way of in opposition to Jake Reed, as an Edmundo Sosa single made it a 5-4 recreation. Later, an Andrew Knizner two-run single broke the sport open.
Pete Alonso drove in a run with an RBI double to make it a two-run recreation (and snap an 0-for-20 skid), and Kevin Pillar drove in one other, however Albert Almora Jr. grounded out to finish the sport. Fourteen of the Mets’ final 19 losses have now been by one run.
– The Mets offense obtained going proper from the bounce within the first inning in opposition to Jake Woodford. After a Jonathan Villar infield single and a base hit from Francisco Lindor set the Mets up with runners on the corners, Michael Conforto flared a single to left subject to offer the Mets a 1-0 lead.
After an Alonso double play, Baez dropped a bunt single, simply out of attain of a diving Woodford, to double that lead.
– Marcus Stroman was lights out by way of the primary three innings, holding the Cardinals hitless whereas hanging out the aspect within the first inning. The Cardinals obtained to him within the fourth, nonetheless, as a Paul Goldschmidt double and Tyler O’Neil single put St. Louis on the board. Later within the inning, a Dylan Carlson sac fly tied the sport 2-2.
Stroman gave the Mets 6.0 sturdy innings, permitting simply two earned runs on 4 hits with eight strikeouts and one stroll on 89 pitches. His season ERA now stands at 2.88.
– The Mets recaptured the lead within the fifth, as Cardinals reliever Daniel Ponce de Leon walked the bases loaded with one out. Conforto drove in his second and the Mets’ third run of the sport with a sac fly to left to attain Stroman, however Alonso went down swinging with two runners on to restrict the harm.
– Although Baez had his first multi-walk efficiency because the 2019 season, he had a tough evening on the bases. He did not slide on a force-out at second base that he may have probably crushed, after which was later caught stealing when attempting to take off earlier than the pitch was delivered.
–Aaron Loup, who has been nothing in need of excellent all season lengthy, wanted simply seven pitches for a 1-2-3 seventh inning. However Jeurys Familia couldn’t maintain that lead within the eighth, permitting a stroll and an O’Neil house run to place St. Louis again on prime.
Familia allowed one other single earlier than Yadier Molina additionally reached on catcher’s interference, and with that, Familia left the sport to boos from the Citi Discipline crowd. With two on and one out, Trevor Might was in a position to get out of the inning.
The Mets shut out their collection with the Cardinals at Citi Discipline on Wednesday at 7:10 p.m. on SNY.
Tylor Megill goes for the Mets in opposition to St. Louis lefty Jon Lester.