A raging fireplace gutted a Bronx grocery retailer and injured two folks as flames could possibly be seen capturing from the roof of the now-destroyed enterprise Thursday night time.
The five-alarm blaze broke out round 5:30 p.m. inside C-City Grocery store on College Avenue in Morris Heights, in response to the FDNY.
One individual and one firefighter suffered minor accidents, the division mentioned. Greater than 100 firefighters battled the blaze that prolonged all through the constructing into Thursday night time, officers mentioned.
A retailer worker advised NBC 4 he noticed smoking coming from the highest of the constructing whereas the enterprise was bustling with consumers earlier than everybody fled.
A witness who lives close to the fireplace mentioned the flames have been close to different companies, together with a gasoline station.
Bronx resident Frances Malcolm advised The Publish her condominium constructing at 1715 Nelson Ave. needed to be evacuated due to its proximity to the fireplace. She mentioned officers couldn’t inform her how shortly she and others may return inside.
“My constructing, the folks on the again, which is nearer to C-City the place the fireplace began, they obtained smoke injury,” Malcolm, 69, mentioned.
She mentioned she was truly on her strategy to the grocery store however shortly circled.
“I requested this gentleman, I mentioned, ‘Sir, what’s happening,’” Malcolm mentioned. “He mentioned ‘I feel C-City’s on fireplace.”