March 1 marks an important day — it’s the primary day of meteorological spring! What does that basically imply? Not a lot for the day after day stuff, however is necessary for measuring and evaluating climate parameters.
That’s the kick off to this week’s Wheat Pete’s Phrase. Host Peter Johnson can really feel the start of spring and with it comes many questions, together with how ice impression wheat, the promise of winter canola, why soil should cuddle corn, and if Okay on soybeans fixes or causes points.
Have a query you’d like Johnson to handle or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s mentioned? Depart him a message at 1-888-746-3311, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or electronic mail him at [email protected]
- Meteorological spring!
- We’re not going to achieve 1,000 episodes of the Phrase by going with two per week, for the document
- 400 bushel corn in 11 years with out altering a darn factor, you’d say I used to be loopy. However wait a minute! You’d change somethings, i.e. fertilizer
- Correction: 172 GDD was truly 72. 72 versus common of 1
- Woody says listening to WPW took 7 km on the bike
- Wholesome and studying multi functional
- The just about Wheat Pete’s 15 — in individual! Turned a 4-hour chat. Kevin sends snail mail, and that will get the telephone ringing
- Get to the good things, Pete
- BASF is OUT on hybrid wheat in North America. Learn extra right here.
- Hybrid wheat is a troublesome nut to crack
- Please inform me the wheat is okay, says a listener
- Freezing rain, snow, ice — what is going to kill the wheat?
- Respiration is necessary. Crown is okay under the floor
- Want water ponding plus ice and smothering to occur to kill the wheat
- Crimson clover on now? Will it injury the wheat leaves? Solely the place the tires run, and never more likely to vastly impression yield, however we’ll discover out
- Confusion: ammonium thiosulfate. What about dry and liquid and overcoming a yield distinction between AMS and N kinds
- Urea and dry AMS = bulk density variations trigger a difficulty with spinner spreader
- Clover and dry fertilizer to save lots of a visit? You possibly can, however clover can be occurring a bit later than best
- It’s nonetheless actually too early for N now, however good time for clover in every week or two, N in April
- Natural farmer with hog manure — when does it go on wheat? Compaction is first subject. Floor wants agency (fall?) or on the frost (not on snow). Uniformity in unfold is basically key
- Winter canola is an possibility — Mercedes is a recreation changer
- Winter canola can plug tile. And anticipate volunteers
- Chloride on soybeans: Horst Bohner says, 400 lb per acre of KCl on beans within the spring and by no means seen a yield penalty
- Tons of of S trials, too, and really uncommon to see any response right here in Ontario
- Sharp sands, perhaps
- How deep ought to I work with vertical tillage? Corn stalks labored in fall, needs to do as soon as within the spring
- Tillage is a component artwork, half science
- Angle issues. Straighter can transfer deeper. Extra angle, extra smear decrease down
- Shallow as doable, in dry soil
- Corn wants cuddles!
- Okay at fusarium timing? Zero information to help this on wheat (to stop lodging)
- Don’t do it!
- Spruce alongside a subject edge…will there be root intrusion in tile? Sure. Handle accordingly.
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | | All Podcasts